Fwd: unknown data tape

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Sun Dec 11 11:01:07 CST 2005

Speaking of audio cassette storage, I received this inquiry
to my web.  Click the link to hear the data he has...  What's
odd to my ear is that the data seems to be packeted between
carrier.  Might this be someone's custom data, as opposed to
ordinary program load/save?

As for why MP3s work fine and .WAV is unnecessary, MP3's
compression divides the signal into ~32 frequency bands, then
encodes the amplitude of those over time.  The typical
two-frequency sine modulation used by cassette data recorders
probably fits quite well into those two bins, and MP3 would
recreate the simple sine waves quite well.

After all, some of the hardware/software decoders within the
classic PCs (as well as their emulators) may have only used
the timings of zero-crossings, so they aren't very sensitive
to perfect reproduction of the waves.

- John