Old MS-DOS & WIN Software

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Mon Dec 12 14:17:30 CST 2005

>Subject: Re: Old MS-DOS & WIN Software
>   From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch at 30below.com>
>   Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:21:35 -0500
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>That would be me. I just can't seem to live without some form of networking
>now - and to me, even my 8-bitters seem a little bit "unlivable" because I
>just can't plug 'em into the network.

Write a stack and go.  Seems it's being done even for Trs-80!

>>I was happy for years running DOS with Norton Commander (midnight commander
>>for the linux user).
>
>Never cared for either one of 'em myself... but that's just me. I still
>install it on my linux boxen "just in case" tho.

Beat the tar out of DOSSHELL.

>>   What I didn't get with windows (V3.1, W9x) was a real
>>multitasking OS.
>
>What you didn't get with Winders was a real OS. ;-)

I think I did say that. ;)

>And yet, for certain things it was very useful. I bought Winders 3.1 (drove
>200 miles roundtrip for it) for two reasons: True Type Fonts and a better
>driver for my Canon BJ-10ex portable inkjet. The documents I could produce
>were much better than anything I could produce with DOS apps of the time.

3.1 was a nice desktop and the problem was DOS not the desktop
(and it was 16bit).

As to better docs... WordperfectV5/dos was better than any of the MS apps
for that back then.

>If people chose Winders solely because they believed it was the best thing
>available, I'd have no problem with it's current status. It's when it's
>jammed down peoples' throats thru M$ pressuring computer companies to
>bundle it with machines (and sometimes even tied to the hardware warranty
>like on my Fujitsu laptop!) that's most assuredly wrong.

I got into it because tools I wanted to used required it, though they
were no better for it.

As to the MS pushing it down the throat, yes it's was bad, and they
still only got a slap on the wrist.

Is winders useful, yep when it's the only way to get what you need.
But the jury for the last 15 years says, it sucketh greatly for all
thine efforts.  Life in a factory town, is windows.

Allison