PC-DOS 3.3

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Dec 12 17:20:52 CST 2005

On 12/12/2005 at 4:27 PM Jim Leonard wrote:

>MS-DOS was officially end-of-lifed by MS so I don't see the harm.  We
>certainly
>don't have a problem distributing obscure OSes, tape loaders, and CPM so
>why
>should DOS be any different?

Well, there is a difference.  MS-DOS/PC-DOS can still be run on modern
machines--there's no argument that "the hardware to run it doesn't exist
any more".  And both firms that can claim copyright (good for 95 years) are
still around.  I'd hate to get a letter from a Microsoft suit saying "cease
and desist--and pay us $250,000".

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I can't legally make copies and
distribute an out-of-print literary work without permission, why is there a
difference with software?  Has anyone asked Microsoft or IBM if it would be
okay?  Or do we already know that the answer is going to be "no", so we
might as well not ask and draw attention to things?

Cheers,
Chuck