Old MS-DOS & WIN Software

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Tue Dec 13 06:38:11 CST 2005

>Subject: Re: Old MS-DOS & WIN Software
>   From: Scott Stevens <chenmel at earthlink.net>
>   Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:30:56 -0500
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>

>Something rather surreal in some regards, but which could be very
>useful for quick hackish projects, is Visual Basic for MS-DOS.
>It's not something Microsoft promoted for very long, but it was
>out there and some of us grabbed a copy.
>
>And yes, I do have the boxed Professional version.  And what may
>have been the only third-party book teaching how to code in it.
>
>It's sort of cool- a completely text-mode version of Visual Basic
>that you can develop code with on with a machine that only has an
>MDA card.  Like watching mpegs rendered to 'ASCII graphics'
>(somebody actually coded that, btw.)  It works almost identically
>to Visual Basic 3.0 for Windows.

It's other brother, QuickBasic4.5/dos is in that collection and still
something I use.  My old dosware, early windowsware is stuff I'd bought
and gotten with my first machines. Some of those machines didn't last
but I did keep the software as it's useful and mine.

However the one I like the most is Corel Paradox for windows as the license
is actually in english and allows for a work copy and a home copy on the
basis that you are only really using copy of it at any time.  That and it
produces decent Pascal!

Allison