CUBIX/6809 updates

woodelf bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Tue Dec 13 22:29:00 CST 2005

Dave Dunfield wrote:

>>>I think a Floppy chip with a real built in data separator is the way to go.
>>>

>>Find a37c65 or 9266. no big deal using raw ttl as then  you can do ANY
>>data rate.
>>

>Also a good idea.
>

>>>Also  a good dma  is needed,  as  having the cpu do  floppy  I/O leaves
>>>no margin for serial  I/O.
>>>

>>Not required.  Small system, nice addition but pumps up complexity
>>more than a bit.
>>

>Agreed, although there is nothing in the design of CUBIX to prevent a DMA
>disk interface.
>

>>>The other thing is a NICE terminal to go with the system. I don't want
>>>to boot windows or dos to run a terminal. For development work a PC is
>>>a good idea until you get a OS running. I have a used Altos IV here,
>>>from what the keyboard says but I don't know of  how many years of
>>>life the terminal may have left.
>>>

>>Fix it, build one or find a VT220,320,320 whatever.
>>

>Or do like I did in the original portable unit - put on a 6845 and do your
>own video display.

No way that would work, as I don't have a TTL level monitor here, or a
real keyboard...
Just PC stuff!  I still not figured out the terminal design yet, but it
would have 3 over laping
displays ... lowest level -- some sort of  graphic display -- say 8 grey
or 8 colors -- 3 dots per
byte. Second level -- User Ascii with fixed colors and transparentcy.
Third level -- System Ascii
and borders and  cursor pointers.