Anyone interested in a group purchase of MCM68766 chips?

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Wed Dec 14 09:34:48 CST 2005

Rumor has it that Wolfe, Julian may have mentioned these words:
>Hey everyone,
>
>Are any of you interested in a group purchase of MCM68766 EPROM chips?
>These are used in M8189s and possibly in some other DEC equipment.  I'm
>looking to upgrade my M8189 to a -BJ with these chips.

I have a metric buttload of these suckers at home... those and the
MCM68764's ( I have more '64s, but out of almost 10Kg of 'em, I'm sure I
could find more than enough '66s ;-)

There's one caveat: There in Panasonic HHC carriers, with a decoupling cap
on the power pins already. So, to use them in a standard DIP socket, you'd
need to unwrap the pins from the carrier & desolder the cap. It needs to be
done carefully, but certainly doable - I used a few on a CoCo1 - I
'unwrapped' 8 chips one time, and 7 survived no problem.

>Unfortunately the places that sell them are asking for a $150-200 minimum
>order.

That's way too much... I'm cheap (at least that's what my wife says.)
;-) If you want *me* to extract & erase the suckers, I won't be quite so
cheap, but certainly not near that pricetag.

How many do you actually need?

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!