DOS Compatable OS

Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner spc at conman.org
Wed Dec 14 14:53:27 CST 2005

It was thus said that the Great Gary Sparkes once stated:

> I'm rather bored, so I thought I might try and hack together a small project
> OS compatable with at least DOS 1.x or similar, is there any decent resource
> for information on dos compatability and how to achieve it, or is it left as
> a reverse engineering exercise for 'the reader' ? :)

  How compatable?  If you go by the published API for MS-DOS 1.x, then it
should be pretty easy, but if by "compatable" you mean "run arbitrary MS-DOS
programs, especially those from Microsoft" you may have your work cut out
for you.  You may want to check out http://www.freedos.org/.

  -spc (But remember, MS-DOS 1.0 is a something of a CP/M for the 8086
	world ... )