Good haul of old pc stuph

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Thu Dec 15 08:52:05 CST 2005

>Subject: Re: Good haul of old pc stuph
>   From: "Curt @ Atari Museum" <curt at atarimuseum.com>
>   Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:37:30 -0500
>     To: General at smtp1.suscom.net, "Discussion at smtp1.suscom.net":On-Topic and
> Off-Topic Posts	<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>Hmmmm XT based IDE controllers???    Interesting, I only recall using
>the stock MFM's and using SCSI when larger space was needed.
>
>What is the manufacturer name on the adapters?

Cut from the posting you enclosed..

>>>The one I still have is made by Acculogic, called the
>>>sIDE/16 or something.

Mine also says that.  I also had a PS2/30 which was an XT
in reality and could install a connor 420mb IDE.

All it took was a 8bit/16bit trnaslation usinga pair of latches
and some buffers. the only part of IDE thats actually 16bits
wide is data transfers, the registers are bytes. The MFM
controllers of the time had the same register layout.  The
WD1003 was likely the best known ISA16 (WD1002 was the ISA8
version) controller for MFM and it's just like talking to
an IDE drive.

To prove the point once I took a spare WD1003 jammed a few address
bits and wired a IDE male connecotr to the needed pins and hooked
the controller, and a 31mb drive to the IDE port of a 486board
and then set the CHS in the bios and tada, it works.  It's
possible as that board was the prototype for the IDE drives
on board logic and in itself was a standard.

Since then IDE (ATAPI) has evolved some and there are a few
twists added.

Allison