Archiving Software

Cini, Richard Richard.Cini at wachovia.com
Fri Dec 16 07:16:24 CST 2005

For archiving MSDOS disks I use ZIP files unless the disk is bootable, in
which case I use readimg/writimg (Microsoft utilities).

For cross-platform archiving, the only thing I've done so far is on the
Apple, using ADT.

However, ADT brings-up an idea. In my Altair emulator, we have a CP/M
utility on one of the disk images which allows you to transfer files from
the host to the emulator space and back (read.com and write.com I think).
The program uses an invalid opcode trap to communicate with the host file
system. You would use a program to convert a CP/M COM program on the host to
an Intel HEX file which is then read into the CP/M environment through the
trap mechanism. The reverse would happen except that the "write" does not
convert it to Intel HEX -- it deposits it as a CP/M COM file.

The source is on one of the disk images. There's no reason why it couldn't
be enhanced to move entire disk images instead of just files, and since it's
a CP/M utility it should work on any CP/M system. Unfortunately I don't have
enough experience in programming for CP/M, nor the time right now, to do it.

Rich