Archiving Software

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 16 07:54:09 CST 2005

>Subject: RE: Archiving Software
>   From: "Cini, Richard" <Richard.Cini at wachovia.com>
>   Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:34:02 -0500
>     To: "'General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts'"	<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>The method (using PIP and a COM port) works well for physical machines. We
>wrote these utilities for the Altair32 to talk directly to the host
>hardware.
>
>Point being that someone could write a generic CP/M utility which can dump a
>disk image over a COM port instead of only a file. I like ADT because it has
>the nifty ability to download the transfer program to the Apple using
>console redirection...ADT basically stuffs a monitor script into the Apple
>over the serial connection. CP/M probably has the same ability...I don't
>know.

How about MDM7?  I've used that inside Dave's Horizon Sim with good success.
The MDM7 I used was allready setup for a NS* IO and the Sim maps NS* IO
to COM ports.

There are two different issues here:

 * Transfering CP/M files and MDM7 (XMDM, Kermit ...) do that well.
   The Sim side issues vary depening on how IO is simulated.
   For example MyZ80 transfering CP/M files is trivial as there
   is a utility inside the emulated CPM for reading and writing
   outside to DOS filesystem.  Others are not as flexible.

 * booting a system that has a unique NON-PC compatable format.
   This varies all over the map depending on target system.

Allison