Archiving Software

Dwight Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Fri Dec 16 11:41:57 CST 2005

>From: "M H Stein" <dm561 at torfree.net>
>
>Well, I didn't get any replies to my question about how best to archive
>Cromemco software, so let me ask again in broader terms:
>
>Aside from bootable system disks, for which Dave Dunfield's imaging program
>seems to be a much better solution than Teledisk, what's the best way to
>archive software in a way that makes it as universally useable as possible and
>downloadable/emailable?
>
>For example, I have original distribution diskettes for CP/M Wordstar,
>Supercalc, etc. on 8" disks. Obviously images wouldn't be very useful for
>someone with only 5" drives or no 8" drive on the PC; on the other hand,
>a DOS ZIP file of the files on that disk would have to be copied/converted
>back to a CP/M format disk somehow.
>
>So, how are the rest of you dealing with this?

Hi
 In the past when I've needed a file from an image,
I've thrown together a file extraction program to
get the file of the image. I usually also write something
to put an file back to an image. Often the write back
of a file is as simple as I can make it. I usually
write to an formatted image with no other files. This
makes allocation easy.
 For CP/M I've only copied files from archives and not
images. I've then transferred the files serially to
my IMSAI. If it is a binary, I convert to HEX and then
use the debugger to write it to a file.
 For CP/M-8000, I've written code to extract from a
8 inch image and then write these files to 5-1/4
images for the Olivetti M20. In this case, I've
always build a new image with complete files for that
image and not added files to a disk with files on it.
Again, this is the easiest way to handle these.
 I've seen a few utilities on the web to read and write
files to images but I've never used or needed any of
these. I an usually interested in learning that
particular systems file format and find the best way
to learn it is to write something to transfer files.
Dwight