When did double-shot keytops disappear?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Dec 18 00:14:35 CST 2005

>I was looking at a not-very-old HP keyboard today and noticed that the
>lettering on the keys is wearing away after only a few years of use.

I've got an IBM keyboard on my desk at work, it's probably six or
seven years old, and most of the letters are worn away.  I've
literally worn grooves into some of the key caps with my fingernails.
At the same time, I'm typing this on a nine year old Apple Extended
II ADB keyboard, other than being a bit dirty, it's in *perfect*
condition.

>Used to be that keytops were double-shot molded, with the lettering all but
>indestructible.  Is this a practice that's gone forever, or is there still
>a vendor who makes keyboards the old way?

One of these days I'd like to find a really high quality USB
keyboard.  While I do like keys tops that stay intact, I'm more
concerned with with the keyboard not twisting easily, and keys that
feel good when you push on them.

			Zane