HP 1000

Bob Shannon bshannon at tiac.net
Sun Dec 18 09:20:30 CST 2005

I don't have schematics for the 12555 board, but I am very familiar with
them.

The 12555 is not strictly compatible with M/E/F series CPU's due to their
I/O timing.

The 12555 generates its Z axis signal based (indirectly) on the I/O
backplane
timing.

In a faster machine (E and F series) a new set of X/Y values can be loaded
into
the registers before the Z axis signal is done.  This will produce a glitch.

If your using this board in an E or F series processor, I'd recommend one of
two approaches to work around this issue.

1. use programmed I/O rather than DCPC (DMA) transfers.

2. Double up each point sent, sending the same X/Y values at least twice.

Also note that there is an RC timer on these boards that can be set by
changing
a capacitor value.  Longer RC values were commonly used with storage tube
displays.

If your running this board on the 2100, timing is not the issue, but the RC
timer
settings may be.