PDP-10s

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 12:57:35 CST 2005

On 12/22/05, Brad Parker <brad at heeltoe.com> wrote:

> "Zane H. Healy" wrote:
> >
> >While the CPU's are showing up, how about Disk and Tape drives?  They're
> >*one* of the reasons I've never looked into getting a real PDP-10, though
> >space and power are about as important for me :^(
>
> I'm assuming one could run a KS-10 with a minimal unibus and say, kludge
> up an RP06 style disk interface.

An interesting thought, but weren't the RP disks formatted to 18-bit
words when used on 36-bit hosts?  If one kludged up an interface with
some smarts, perhaps one could format a SCSI disk to something other
than 512 8-bit-bytes per sector.  The RP20(?) emulator could then
request a larger block, then repackage it and feed it up to the KS10
as 36-bit words.

How did Systems Concepts do it?  I know they have differential SCSI
interfaces and drives, but I have no clue about the internals?

-ethan
(who doesn't own any 36-bit hardware, but enjoys running TOPS-20 on klh10)