When did double-shot keytops disappear?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Dec 18 02:07:02 CST 2005

On 12/18/2005 at 7:14 AM Philip Pemberton wrote:

>I've got a Dell AT102W - proper keyswitches (Alps IIRC), plenty of metal
>inside, a lovely "clack" when a key gets pushed... and laser-etched
>These keyboards, BTW, also go by the part number "093GDJ". I'd buy another

My old NCR/Cherry keyboards are worn so much that you can see depressions
worn the space bar where my thumbs rest, but the keytops are otherwise
intact.  Same with my IBM model M's and the Wang rebrands.

Does anyone remember when one of the supplies retailers (CDW, Inmac?)
shipped customers a small cardboard box ith a red keytop in it labeled
"Panic"?  Those are double shot molded and fit a Cherry keyboard perfectly.

At one time Keytronics made some nice keyboards, but that was a LONG time
ago.  After the Honeywell acquisition, they started turning out junk.

I was just surprised that a relatively minor fabrication step that one used
to take for granted had been quietly done away with.

Okay, does anyone sell add-on volume controls and "mute" and "standby"
buttons that will work with  a model M?  I don't need no stinkin' Windoze
key, but I like the volume control knob--and the "mute" is useful also.


More information about the cctech mailing list