Seagate to Purchase Maxtor

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Fri Dec 23 14:32:46 CST 2005

On Friday 23 December 2005 03:05 pm, Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> >> Of course! Start diggin'...
> >>
> >> If it is for an IBM 2311 or 3330, dig fast.
> >
> > Not IBM.  Control Data,  maybe?  For some reason "Model 40" comes to
> > mind. It's a weird format,  very large pages,  11 inches is the _shorter_
> > dimension.
>
> Singer?  ISTR that Singer had a model 40 drive (14 in disk pack) in their
> system 10. Possibly using rotary transformer servo like Diablo Systems...

No,  these were single-platter setups,  typically one fixed and one removable.
I had one repair to look at that was basically a "Wang Word Processing
System" or somesuch,  and there was a mini that I tried (not very
successfully) to deal with called a "GRI" -- the company was out of business
when I came into the picture in 1985,  and they had a guy who would come in
from out of state from time to time to tweak things.  I still remember having
to find exactly 5.06 volts across one specific capacitor to make things work
right.  That had four racks,  and drives in two of them,  and it was a much
nicer setup than the one I'd encountered besides,  which was a "pedestal" of
some sort,  took two of us to move it.  The rack-mounted units in the mini
were in drawers that you could pull out,  and I think tilt down at full
extension.

I remember one time they started having all sorts of trouble with that
machine, and it turned out that the temp in the machine room had gone up by a
few degrees,  due to a bad belt on the outside portion of the a/c that was
slipping.  Fussy,  that thing was!

-
M Dakin