Beehive terminals

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 30 16:08:50 CST 2005

On 12/30/2005 at 1:23 AM Richard wrote:

>Which reminds me of an interesting story.  These modems were only
>rated for 1200 baud.  We used them at that speed for several weeks
>before I said "why not just turn up the baud rate and see what
>happens?" -- one of those questions young teenagers ask because they
>don't know any better :-).  So we tried 2400 baud.  Garbage.  We then
>tried 1800 baud and they worked flawlessly.  Sweet!  50% bonus just
>for being experimental!

I remember doing exactly the same thing--those Racal-Vadic modems didn't
seem to be too sensitive to data rate.  I recall using one at 2000 baud
with no problems, even though I couldn't get 2400 to work at all.

Anyone remember the old Bell 103 modems?  IIRC, the design was something
like a big pile of passives and only a couple of transistors.  But then,
300 baud was as good as they got.  WE was pretty good at designing circuits
that used the minimum of active components; IIRC, the DTMF touch-tone
dialing circuit was a single transistor.

Cheers,
Chuck