Public funding for the "Arts" Re: Computer Museum

Tom Jennings tomj at wps.com
Sun Jul 10 21:26:20 CDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, woodelf wrote:

> Bit bucket full -- redirecting output to console.
> Computers are not art but science ... History however
> is needed in all forms however.

We're talking about history, which is culture, not products.
There mere fact that some arbitrarily old machine (say: LGP-30)
would have to be contextualized in its 1950's context clearly
shows that.

Second, computers -- as products -- are not science. Science is
not technology, and technology isn't science (the subsuming of
science *into* technological production is another story).
Computers are products, not made by 'scientists' but produced in
factories by the lowest-skilled label it's possible to get away
with.

Third, most museums try to appeal to a broad swath of humanity,
not just nerds. Computers exist in culture, for purposes of all
kinds (which has clearly changed; from 40's hydrodynamics to 00's
Grand Theft Auto -- a good museum will contextualize all this.

I am fairly high nerd -- yet I care a lot about the culture in
which this crap exists, who made them, why, ramifications of use,
etc.

It's art, and history, and historiography, with a bit of science
and a tinier bit of technology. Nerds like us can get a doc set
and pore over the schematics; most people will want more.