IBM Portable Personal Computer available in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 18:45:16 CDT 2005

> I'm surprised anyone would be prepared to ship such a machine across the
> pond to us at their expense (particularly as presumably it'd need
> modification to the PSU to work here, would likely have a different
> keyboard layout etc.)

I think the 5155 has a user-accessible switch to select 115 or 230V mains
input (albeit without the circuit that HP put in the Integral, the sole
purpose of which is to blow the fuse if it's connected to 230V mains when
set to 115V, HP's argument being that a portable machine is likely to get
connected to the wrong makins at some point).

If there is no such switch on the 5155, it's a simple jumper change
inside the PSU (and I don't want to re-start the thread (pun intended)
about 5155 PSU screws, OK...)

Everything else, including the monitor, runs off the low-voltage DC side
of the PSU and needs no changes.