local demolition of SAGE building

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Tue Jul 19 14:44:49 CDT 2005

>>>>> "Chuck" == Chuck Swiger <cswiger at widomaker.com> writes:

 Chuck> At 02:15 PM 7/19/2005 -0400, you wrote:
 >> Here are some shots of the SAGE blockhouse at Stewart, as of 2001:
 >>
 >> http://radomes.org/museum/recent/StewartAFBNY.html

 Chuck> I'm following the links from radomes.org and reading with
 Chuck> interest about SAGE.  At mitre.org it says:

 Chuck> -When complete, the AN/FSQ-7 weighed 250 tons, and required a
 Chuck> 3,000kW -power supply and over 49,000 vacuum tubes. When SAGE
 Chuck> became fully -operational, it relied on 24 AN/FSQ-7s; they
 Chuck> remained in service -until the Air Force ended the SAGE
 Chuck> program in 1983.

 Chuck> Is this TRUE? Did they actually use vacuum tube computers up
 Chuck> untill 1983?

Sounds right.  I remember reading about this.

It makes perfect sense.  It's a critical application, and it has been
running reliably on that hardware.  It makes sense to continue running
the hardware rather than deal with the cost and risk of porting it to
new, unproven, technology.

Another consideration: that machine had an amazing I/O bandwidth,
especially considering its age.  It would not have been easy to
replace it in 1975.

Finally -- what abort porting all the software?  I assume it was in
assembler.

	   paul