A minor Adventure in Vintage Computing

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Tue Jul 26 03:09:15 CDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jules Richardson wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 01:32 -0700, Brent Hilpert wrote:
> >  So a friend and I headed out for a run today and on the way to the trails
> > decided to take the shortcut across the lands of our friendly neighbourhood
> > giant big-oil corp. oil refinery. This refinery was nearly 100 years old until
> > it was mostly decommissioned and dismantled in the 1990s
>
> that's a nice story - I do quite a bit of that sort of exploration,
> never found anywhere with computers left inside though! Generally the
> land's at such a premium over here that places don't stay abandoned for
> long, and the scrappers seem to move in minutes after a place closes
> down and remove all the interesting interior stuff.

My semi-cool story is chasing down an IBM 360 in an abandoned North
Carolina factory (laying dormant as a Superfund* site) only to find a
boring 5360 (that a collector from Pennsylvania later retrieved).

* In a nutshell Superfund sites in the US are sites condemned by the US
government as polluted beyond all recognition and for all practical
purposes requiring millions of dollars to clean up before they can be put
back into use.