system 36 on eBay

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman at brutman.com
Wed Jun 1 15:18:10 CDT 2005

Michael wrote:

 >> I have code in that thing .. (Specifically the low level OS that the
36 emulator is running on top of.)

 > Is that one of the machines that uses System/38 CISC hardware?

Eric

It's actually an early version of the RISC processor used in the more
modern AS/400/iSeries machines.

The memory is fuzzy now, so I may have some details incorrect.  It was
around 1994 and the System 36 was long since gone, and we were deep in
product development of the new RISC based AS/400s.  One use of the
partially developed machine was as a System 36 replacement - with an
emulator running on top of the partial OS of the new machine we could
make the appearance of a System 36, and at a much better speed at that.

Remember that for the port to RISC IBM had to rewrite a good portion of
the OS to accomodate the new processor and hardware architecture.  The
older CISC based AS/400s used a 48 bit processor.  The new ones were
using a 64 bit variant of the Power PC.

I don't think that most of the customers for the Advanced 36 (as this
box was called) were aware that they were running on a pretty advanced
PowerPC based machine.  It was a nice trick.

Mike