Simulated disk drive for RT-11?

David Betz dbetz at xlisper.mv.com
Fri Jun 3 10:40:44 CDT 2005

I have a device that plugs into a serial port on a PC and looks like a
disk drive to an Atari 800. Is there such a thing for RT-11? It seems
like it should be possible to write a disk driver that uses a serial
port and some sort of serial protocol to communicate with a PC and make
RT-11 think it is accessing a local disk drive. Has anyone done
anything like that? I have a PDP-11/23 system that is taking up too
much space and I would like to replace it with a small QBus backplane
containing an 11/23 CPU, some memory and a multi-port serial card. I
would use one serial port as the console and another as the "disk"
connection back to a PC. Has this been done before?

Another related question is what is the smallest QBus backplane mounted
in a box with a power supply that will support an 11/23 CPU (M8186), a
memory card (M8044) and a serial port/boot rom card (M8047) and maybe a
multi-port serial card (M8043)?

Thanks!
David