Does anyone have an Altos CPM/MPM machine available?

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Wed Jun 15 14:41:49 CDT 2005

Bob Shannon wrote:
> I'm going to try to get my old Altos 5-15D working.
>
> Currently its having a problem during power-on self test, drive B does
> not seem to
> be seeking to track 00.  The machine will not boot from A: without
> thinking the B:
> drive is happy.

   OK, now I'm convinced that the system board is jumpered for floppy
characteristics.  My 580 has one floppy drive and a hard disk, and does
not recognize a second floppy disk (unterminated and jumpered to ID 1)
at all.

   Some service docs would be very helpful, wouldn't they?  :\

> The drives are CDC 720K 5.25 inch, full height drives.
>
> I'm looking for spare drives, a parts machine, or a working Altos.

<AOL>
   Me too.
</AOL>

   By the way, I find mine much more enjoyable since I replaced the
110VAC case fan with a 120mm 12VDC fan.  It moves nearly as much air and
it's a lot less noisy.  Plus, at 9W, the 110V fan must have been sucking
nearly as much power as the rest of the box.

	Doc