My classiccmp non-retirement :-)

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Mon Jun 20 09:24:46 CDT 2005

 Al> I've been ranting for a while now that people are saving the
 Al> iron, but not the software that ran on it. It's surprising how
 Al> little is even left from late 60's IBM 360s (incl the systems
 Al> themselves), which was the most popular large computing system,
 Al> and how MUCH has been saved from DEC (thanks to the efforts of
 Al> collectors and CHM).

Perhaps because DEC computers were fun and 360s were not?

 Al> I'm starting to think that there is going to be a pretty strange
 Al> view of computer software in the future, since there is so MUCH
 Al> that was saved from DEC, and almost nothing from Burroughs,
 Al> UNIVAC, NCR, and Honeywell (the last member of the BUNCH, CDC,
 Al> seems to have a fair amount saved, though)

True.  Is there even an emulator for the B-6700 series?

Then again, there are even darker spots.  Some time ago I went looking
for documentation about some Philips computer and found absolutely
nothing -- not just for the model I wanted, but nothing for any model
at all.  About the only thing I could find was a picture of a cover
page of some manual (in the Google cache, though the website itself no
longer had it).

Given that a fair number of CC contributors are European, this is
slightly surprising.  Not that Philips ever was a particularly
impressive computer maker, but they did have some interesting
machines.  The EL-X8 is historically very significant indeed (for
reasons of software, not hardware).  And there were some other
interesting machines; I remember a minicomputer with 24-bit words and
French opcode mnemonics.

    paul