Slightly (ok, maybe more than slightly) OT: Old Yellow Book CDs

Wolfe, Julian ISC277 at CLCILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Jun 20 13:29:20 CDT 2005

Mailing lists were available in all sorts of machine-readable formats
from the 1960s-on, most commonly on 7 or 9 track reel tapes.  Many other
types of public records were also available, but it's just not a
commonly known thing these days.

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org
[mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Timothy Hotze
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 11:52 AM
To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Subject: Slightly (ok, maybe more than slightly) OT: Old Yellow Book CDs

Hi,

My name's Tim Hotze, some really long term members with archives that
go way back may find that I used to be semi-active here years ago.

Now I'm working with a cultural policy group at the University of
Chicago, and I'm part of a project that is using (amongst other
sources) Yellow Book data.  Whic his great for this year.  And even
great for last yeah, when we have data.  Its not great for 1996, or
1992, or any other year - we can't find electronic data from previous
years; websites are updated continually.  Libraries that I've searched
have this years, maybe last years, but don't keep any older data
available.

So here's where I think you guys may be able to help.... as I recall
from my days of hunting garage sales, there's a lot of chaff with the
wheat.  I also remember there being published Yellow Book or business
listing CDs in the 1990's - especially before the dot-com era.  I
wanted to know if anybody can remember these, if anybody has seen them
around lying with 486s that you don't want to find when you're really
looking for an IMSAI or Apple II, and, while I'm at it, if maybe
anybody knowsi f any older form of this kind of business data that was
in some kind of machine-readable format?

I'm really sorry for making my 1st post back an off-topic one, but I've
contacted everyone that publishes yellow page books without success,
or, appearant knowledge of well, anything, when I've gotten a reply at
all, and this was the best lead I could think of.

Thanks so much,

Tim