HP50960A

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 17:54:50 CDT 2005

> Rumor has it that Tony Duell may have mentioned these words:
> >Does anyone know anything about a computer (I assume) called the
> >HP50960A, and how it relates to the HP9817A (if it does at all)?
>
> Google stumbled across 1 PDF online, I've cut-n-pasted a bit of the text=20
> out so that may help you... the link to the PDF is here:

Thanks....

It sounds like i haev an SRM server, with the coax interface card. I
guess this is not the SRM-UX software, and that this server can't also be
used as a workstation at the same time. Which makes sense, since it's
only a 68000 with 512K RAM.

I've not tried powering it up with a monitor connected, but I wonder if
some of the SRM server software is in ROM. If so, then it may be
difficult to get it to anything else unless I can find images of the 9817
(or whatecer) ROMs anywhere. I will take a look around.

> www.tamsinc.com/srmux/support/srm_sys_admin/3/ch3.pdf
>
>  From what I read, it *sounds* (and I stress this as I know *nothing* abo=
> ut=20
> HP-UX in general, or HP 9000 series machines either...) like it's a form =
> of=20
> "thin client" or "X-term" for HP9K systems.

I thought it sounded more like the server side of things. It's certainly
not a graphics terminal -- the video board only has 2K of RAM on it. That
sounds to me like 80*24 text.