PDP-8s and -10s

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Thu Jun 23 15:48:24 CDT 2005

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Koning <pkoning at equallogic.com> writes:

>>>>> "Fred" == Fred N van Kempen <waltje at pdp11.nl> writes:
 Fred> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Tom Jennings wrote:

 >>> that is > reliably reported as having been run on a Unix system.
 Fred> I have seen installations with 300+ users online.  Obviously,
 Fred> these were ran with terminal multiplexers, terminal servers and
 Fred> other kinds of smart front-ends, as to not kill the main system
 Fred> with line interrupts :)

 Paul> Not Unix but timesharing, and more demanding at that -- the
 Paul> University of Illinois PLATO system had 1000 terminals and most
 Paul> days hit its configured limit of 600 active users, in the
 Paul> 1970s, on a 10 MHz processor.

 Paul> Its modern day successor serves a lot more terminals than that;
 Paul> some vague memory says a million connect hours per month...

Just got this bit of stats about that system: peak number of active
users at any one time: 9037.  That's on a SINGLE machine (an Alpha).

I suspect that's a record for number of interactive users served by a
single computer.  Especially if you consider that these are
interactive (key by key interaction) terminals -- not local forms
editing terminals as in the classic airline reservation systems
(SABRE).

	 paul