Wang paper tape format?

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Fri Jun 24 11:57:38 CDT 2005

>>>>> "Vintage" == Vintage Computer Festival <vcf at siconic.com> writes:

 Vintage> I have some paper tapes that I'm trying to read and I have
 Vintage> good reason to believe they are from a Wang machine of some
 Vintage> type.

 Vintage> They seem to hold some sort of document.  The writing on the
 Vintage> tape indicates a section number and "pages".

 Vintage> The tape is 8-level.  The 8th bit seems to be used as some
 Vintage> sort of end-of-line or end-of-record marker.  The 7th bit
 Vintage> seems to be parity.  So the actual symbol codes are likely
 Vintage> 6-bit.

I don't have the specific code at hand or in my memory, but that
sounds a lot like a common Flexowriter code.  8th bit by itself for
carriage return fits, as does parity in bit 7.

	 paul