Wang paper tape format?

Tom Jennings tomj at wps.com
Sun Jun 26 20:59:14 CDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Paul Koning wrote:
>
>> I don't have the specific code at hand or in my memory, but that
>> sounds a lot like a common Flexowriter code.  8th bit by itself for
>> carriage return fits, as does parity in bit 7.
>
> That's what I thought as well, but I couldn't find any references to
> Flexowriter encoding either :(

The problem is there are MANY flexowriter codes. Flexos were
customized for all sorts of installations. There is no single
standard code.  The one attached to my LGP-21, for example, is
modified to generate LGP-21 opcodes ("B" generates the BRING
opcode, for example).

You'll need to find the code used with the Wang product(s)
or use standard code-breaking techniques to work it out.
Should be easy since it's plaintext.