Who invented DOS?

evan evan947 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 11:04:30 CST 2005

I recall reading once that Tim said something like "if I knew DOS would be used
for so long, I would have made it much better."

--- willisjo at zianet.com wrote:
> vrs writes:

> > there :-)
> >>
> >> Never!  RT-11, maybe.
> >
> > I always thought both were modeled after OS/8 :-).  (Which was, in turn, a
> > souped up DMS.)
> >
> >     Vince
> >

> It was originally written by Tim Patterson of Seattle Computer Products, as
> 86-QDOS (Quick and Dirty OS). The initial purchase by Microsoft was for
> $15,000 IIRC, but full rights to the OS were purchased later for a larger
> sum. Patterson was originally planning on including multitasking, but did
> not due to time constraints. The OS gained tree-structured directories and
> I/O redirection/pipes (< > >> |) in 2.0 (inspired by UNIX), and a major
> rewrite for 5.0 (I believe this rewrite was largely the work of Charles
> Simonyi, but could not be sure).
>
> Tim Patterson was hired by Microsoft for a period of time.
>

> John
>
> John P. Willis
> Coherent Logic Development

Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

*** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
- It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
- Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
- W: http://news.computercollector.com  E: news at computercollector.com
- We're approaching 700 readers: win a prize!