MS-DOS, HFS, and other file separators

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Fri Mar 4 18:08:55 CST 2005

At 12:36 PM 3/4/2005, Steve Jones wrote:
>But I imagine anybody who ever looked at developing software for
>the Mac very quickly discovered this when they learned that - uhm,
>was it ADPA? The earlyish development environment for the Mac -
>included a shell, and you could see the filesystem more directly.

The APDA CDs did have a shell like that, I once used it to port
my 3D conversion software.   I had to find a way to make 'makefiles'
that would compile the code on several platforms: Amiga, 32-bit DOS,
Windows, SGI and Linux.  And I did.  It was also tricky to write
a filepath parser that could handle paths of any type and be able
to re-write them with the destination path's type, on a platform
that used neither type.  So my software could read an SGI model
on an Amiga and write out PC-style filename paths, for example.

But I think I first saw the colon separators in Mac Pascal code for
DECnet.  I once helped port Thursby's TSSnet from Mac to Amiga.

- John