Altair32 Emulator "Easter Egg" idea

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Fri Mar 4 11:47:05 CST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, John Foust wrote:

> I've always thought that emulators should come with much more familiar
> sound effects, like the sounds of keyboards, disk drive doors
> opening and closing, floppy steppers engaging, fans, tapes turning, etc.
> That's all part of the memory we're savoring and preserving, no?

It's one final touch that can be added to a simulator that makes it stand
out, that's for certain.

The EDSAC simulator also emulates the printer output (whack whack whack
for each character), the bell, and the telephone dial input.  Very neat.

> I'll stop at smell-o-vision - although I have nasal memories of
> particular computer parts, too, like blowtorching 74xx chips off
> scrap boards as a teen, or the particular melange of out-gassing
> or baking of plastics.

If someone does want to do this, I have an aroma synthesizer somewhere in
my collection that was made in the late 1980s.  I don't have any
information on it or how it works (I'd have to find it first) but at least
we know they do exist ;)