Who invented DOS?

Tom Jennings tomj at wps.com
Fri Mar 4 12:44:45 CST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> Also 4DOS (which ISTR is free now) allows use of either / or \ as a directory
> character

MSDOS never got better than this for me:

* Bunch of extended, or is that expanded? memory (could never remember
   which stupid marketing euphemism was which)
* huge, giant 100MB disk
* ARCnet
* MSDOS (not PCDOS) 3 I think
* 4DOS
* desqview
* qmms
* pmate, lattice C small model, plink (for overlays), masm

That stuff ran just fine. Had a bunch of machines on 10base2
ARCnet. I got a lot of stuff down with that setup. It was all
downhill from there for me until I found 386bsd. freeBSD is now as
good as that (meaning, comfort, concentrate on work not farting
around with the system, reliability).