8" drive on PC troubleshooting

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 19:01:28 CST 2005

> Has anyone ever actually successfully hooked an 8" drive to a PC
> controller and gotten it to work?  If so, who is that person?

Yes, I have. The catch (for you) is that it was the second disk
controller in a PC, and I didn't use the BIOS to drive it at all. I
'bashed the bare metal' from turbo pascal.

Reading my source code, I used a value of 3 for the step rate,
corresponding to a 12ms step rate. I seem to send 0x3F to the disk
controller (high nybble = step rate, low nybble = head unload time).

You're welcome to the soruvce code I mentioned (it reads PERQ
'interchange' disks) if you want it.