The ettiquete of Windows 98 on an HP Oscilloscope (was Re: The ettiquette of Windows XP on a centerpunch)

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 04:48:24 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 20:06 -0500, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:51:23 -0600, John Foust <jfoust at threedee.com> wrote:
> > That's right, tools are on-topic if they're being used to repair
> > old computers, unless the tools run Windows.  :-)
>
> Unfortunately, there has been this trend lately for multi-channel
> digital O-scopes to be Windows-based.

To me that implies that the company behind such beasts have no clue what
they're doing, given that alternatives exist that are far more robust
and don't have licensing requirements that push the cost up.

Presumably such machines boot from hard disk too? (I've never seen any
flavour of Windows boot from ROM). Although maybe there are other
reasons to have a hard disk in there anyway (logging etc.) but
personally I'd rather have a network connection on the back of the
device and do any such logging on a commodity PC server elsewhere.

> Doesn't bode well for the future...

Maybe it's one of those things that'll sort itself out; more robust and
cheaper products will doubtless emerge that *don't* use Windows. I can't
forsee any selling point that makes Windows sound better than any
alternative.

(Mind you, I'd say the same for things like set-top boxes, music
devices, hard-disk video recorders etc. and lots of those seem to suffer
from the same disease)

cheers

J.