Chorus Systemes?

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 06:49:28 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 06:34 -0500, Brad Parker wrote:
> Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
> >On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Jules Richardson wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone know anything about Chorus Systemes and what they were up to
> >> circa 1990? I'm just unravelling a lot of old internal Acorn
> >> code/documentation and the name's cropping up quite a bit...
> >>
> >> (I do recall using a distributed system called Chorus in the early 90's,
> >> but I have no idea if that's at all related...)
> >
> >Chorus Data Systems perhaps?  They made digitizers (for photos) in the
> >1980s.  I'm currently looking for information on their picture file
> >format, as nothing I have can decode them.
>
> I was thinking it was the Chorus that made a Mach (or mach-like) OS.  I think
> they where a French company.

Aha - yep. Explains the large amount of Mach source that I found on the
same tape in that case :-)

Definitely French whoever they are/were, hence the "Systemes".

I'm trying to trace copyright ownership on all of this stuff at the
moment to see if I can make it all available. There's some source to
various Acorn things, including some partnership / relationship with
Chorus, and the stillborn ARX OS - plus documents that show Acorn's
thinking on CPU and OS direction in the early 90's. I love finding stuff
like this, but I suspect that I'm not going to be allowed to share it
:-(

cheers

Jules