PS/2 -> Indigo adapters

Steve Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Tue Mar 8 11:45:16 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:30 -0500, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> Even if they are, I can think of one reason - sticking SGI equipment
> off of a KVM.

Cybex, now Avocent, used to have a "workstation" card you could put into
one of their slot-based KVMs like the Autoboot Commander 4XP. With the
right cables it would connect a DEC, Sun, SGI, <whatever> workstation
into the KVM. These are an older line of products, but they are widely
deployed in large datacenters, so these cable sets might still be
available new from Avocent. I used one of these with three PC cards in
the four slot Commander 1XP I bought in the mid-90s.

The cables won't be cheap, but they'd do what you need. OTOH I've seen a
fair bit of Cybex/Avocent stuff fly by on eBay over the years.

Side note, doesn't help with SGIs, but the newer line of Cybex Autoview
KVMs will take a Sun keyboard/mouse for input. This lets me use a Type
5c on my commodity PC desktops - actually, I use it with a PS/2 mouse.
I'm using the Autoview 400 model, if anyone's curious.

FYI,
--Steve.