Must have books for Vintage Computing

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 9 18:14:31 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:31:38 -0500
9000 VAX <vax9000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:15:27 +0800, Wai-Sun Chia
> <waisun.chia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm building my personal library for vintage computing. I need to
> > probe the collective wisdom of the list in what books must a
> > "wannabe" collector (like me) should have on his/her bookshelf.
> >
> > Although I collect primarily DEC stuff, I don't want my knowledge to
> > be just restricted to what DEC had to offer.
>
> I have:
> VAX Architecture Reference Manual (1987)
> The visible Computer: 8088 (1986)
> The 8088 Project Book (1989)
> iAPX88 Book (1983)

'The 8088 Project Book' is what kicked off my 8088-based single board
computer project.  It leaves a LOT of the software-related part of
things as 'an excercize for the reader,' though.

Any book that progresses a step-at-a-time to build an 8088 based
computer on those white solderless breadboards HAS to be cool.

-Scott