2.8M 3.5" floppy (was: three and a quarter inch floppy?

Bjørn bv at norbionics.com
Thu Mar 10 16:19:12 CST 2005

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:43:38 +0100, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:

> BTW, in order to call it "2.88M", you would need to use3 the IBM drive
> de3finition of "megabyte" of 1024000.  If you define a Megabyte
> ("Mebibyte") as 1048576, then "1.44M" has 1.40625 M, and "2.88M"
> has 2.8125 M.

Since this is not a binary matrix of bits, it seems most reasonable to use
SI units, in which case a megabyte should be 1000000.
Except that the size of a byte is undefined on a diskette, since it is not
directly linked to a processor architecture.
And if we should talk of bytes on diskettes anyhow, what is the smallest
individually adressable unit of information on a diskette?
--
Bjørn
- who has worked on architectures with bytes ranging from 4 to 18 bits.