OT Troubleshooting: Old computers with modern parts

Tom Jennings tomj at wps.com
Fri Mar 11 19:33:34 CST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Eric Smith wrote:

>> What's wrong with CMOS parts for interfacing?
>
> Ben wrote:
>> I have a rug and a cat in my apartment.  Meow walk ... zap
>
> If your static situation is that bad, you'd better not use any
> RAM, EPROM, or Flash chips made in the last 15 years.  They're all
> CMOS.

CMOS isn't *THAT* sensitive; easy, benign, reasonable precautions
are more than adequate. Ben, the days of early MOS/CMOS
hypersensitivity to static are long gone. Even 1970's 4000 series
had input-protection diodes.

When I sit down to work on stuff I just make sure to touch chassis
first, or other ground, then tools and board and parts in order,
it's not a big deal, and I haven't static-harmed a part in 20
years, if I ever did ever.

Vintage MOS memories are another story.