Seeking Motorola S38FC012PIO2 ($$$ Bounty! $$$)

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Fri Mar 11 17:54:11 CST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Eric Smith wrote:

> Are you sure it doesn't being with SC?  That's Motorola/Freescale's
> prefix for custom chips (vs. MC for standard, XC for unqualified standard,
> DSP, etc.).  I've never seen a Motorola part with only an S for the
> alphabetic prefix.

Positive.  But it may well be a custom chip.  It's on the Videotrax VCR
backup interface card from Alpha Microsystems.  I'm not even sure it's
going to fix the problems with the card (it's very flaky and basically
doesn't work) but it's a stab in the dark.

The card is recognized by the software and it can somewhat read data from
the tapes, but it doesn't seem to be processing the data properly, or
something.  I got it to work (kind of) once but the directory I pulled
from the tape had numerous errors in it and was basically corrupted.  No,
it wasn't the tape, because I have a second exact card (same part number
on the big Motorola chip) and it works fine.

There's a bunch of chips on this board (27) including a Z80, 2764, a bunch
of 74-series stuff, and a few customs AM stuff (PALs, masked ROM, etc.)

All but the big Motorola chip are soldered in.

Anyway, never mind.  I doubt I'll find one, and it's even more doubtful
it'll fix whatever is wrong with this.  I don't have the time or
inclination to troubleshoot it (no service manuals).

Here's an image of the board:

http://www.siconic.com/computers/videotrax.jpg

If anyone has one of these, I'll pay $50 for it.