ASCII

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 16:04:49 CST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 13:41 -0800, Tom Jennings wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Doc Shipley wrote:
> figlet does only this:
>
> tomj at fiche:~ echo foo | figlet
>    __
>   / _| ___   ___
> | |_ / _ \ / _ \
> |  _| (_) | (_) |
> |_|  \___/ \___/

That reminded me that I haven't run 'banner' in years. Many an hour was
wasted at uni with everyone piping banner output to the write command...
labs used to be awash with the sounds of terminals beeping.

Banner seems to still be here on this desktop (Slackware 10) and the
ASCII-rendered letter quality has improved vastly over the years!

On a related note, I think there's a plugin/patch for SVGALib under
Linux to render everything in ASCII, which is what made running Doom
from a VT220 possible (not particularly usable, but it works! ;)

cheers

Jules

--
"We've had a lot of loonies around this place, but you're the first one
who thought the sunrise was made out of stale beer. Now are you going to