USB 5.25 floppy

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 17:25:15 CST 2005

> >Question for gurus: Someone knows (or adapted it for
> >yourself) of one 5.25 floppy drive connected with some kind
> >of USB cable or controller ? I want to do image disks of almost
> >2000 diskettes I have, and I should like to use my laptop to do it.
>
> I would love to be able to connect a 5-1/4" external floppie drive via USP
> to XP PRO or WIN98SE.

Not what you're asking for at all, but it got me thinking...

Somewhere I have a data sheet (itself probably 10 years old) for a chip
that connected to a PC printer port and gave you an ISA slot on the other
side. No, I don;t mean a chip that connects to an ISA slot and gives you
a parallel port, I mean the reverse.

You could, IIRC, hang 64K DRAM off it and do DMA transfers from the ISA
slot to that DRAM, and then read/write that over the printer port (64K being
the largest possible transfer using the normal PC DMA controller) -- I
can't rememebr if the chip supported 16 bit word transfers, though (the
PC/AT DAM system having some 16 bit channels that could transfer 64K
words in a single operation). You could also, of course read/write any
memory addrees or port.

Somebody needs to come up with a simialr device for Useless Serial Botch.
It would let you use a normal PC ISA floppy controller, for example.