Mag Tapes was RE: Got Videotrax card working

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Tue Mar 15 10:41:41 CST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Nico de Jong wrote:
>
> > From: "Vintage Computer Festival" <vcf at siconic.com>
> > >
> > > Are you sure you're not thinking of Archive?  I find more Archive 2150S
> > > drives than anything else in old machines.
> > >
> > FWIW, I've never seen Archives on IBM (I suppose you are thinking of AS/400,
> > S/36 and the likes), but loads of Tandbergs.
>
> Exactly.  Almost all the older RS/6000 server-class systems had an IBM
> branded Tandberg QIC drive.  I'm not familiar with the AS/400, but they
> might well have used them also.

I've found the Archive 2150S in a lot of Sun stuff, and most recently in
the Stellar graphics supercomputer.  Plus a lot in other machines but it's
not worth the time to wrack my brain to remember which.  Perhaps IBM was
fond of Tandberg, but everyone else was fond of Archive.  I have a guy I
sell tape drives to in batches and most of what he requests are the
Archive 2150S.  He's a repair shop with lots of gubment contracts.