USB Universal Floppy Disk controller

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Tue Mar 15 13:35:04 CST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner wrote:

> It was thus said that the Great Randy McLaughlin once stated:
> >
> > I have never seen a modern PC without a serial port but if USB is absolutely
> > required there are USB to serial adapters.
>
>   For now.
>
>   I'm having difficulty finding a PS/2 to AT keyboard adapter [1].
>
>   -spc (Still using 10Base-2 at the house ... )
>
> [1]	I have a KVM [2] switch that only uses PS/2 style connectors.  I
> 	have an older PC that uses the AT (fat) style keyboard connector and
> 	it's a pain that I can't connect it up to the KVM.
>
> 	I tried finding the adapter at a local Rat Shack and no go.
>
> [2]	Keyboard, Video, Mouse

One single phrase of advice: Get to know all the computer recyclers in
your area.

At this point, computer recyclers are popping up all over the place, as
there's money to be made with overseas re-sale and government subsidized
recycling programs.  These are the guys getting in literally tons of old
PC crap every day/week.  They're the ones that are going to have odd
cables, connectors, gender changers, old parts you need like ISA cards,
power supplies, keyboards, disk drives, even the occasional vintage bit of
gear like Sun, DEC, SGI, etc. hardware.

Forget Radio Shack, and forget eBay.  The computer recyclers have what you
need.  Get to know them, befriend them, charm them, do something nice for
them, offer them money, so that they'll be a good source for all kinds of
stuff you can't find anywhere else.

Better yet, start your own computer recycling business.  It's fun and
profitable, and if you do it right, people pay you to take stuff away from
them.  Amazing!