S-100 SASI setup info needed

Randy McLaughlin cctalk at randy482.com
Thu Mar 17 14:41:12 CST 2005

From: <rcini at optonline.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 1:44 PM
> All:
>
>  I'm longing to add a hard disk system to the Altair emulator. I came
> across a 3-part series in BYTE (March - May 1983) for a host-computer
> adapter manufactured by ASC Associates connected to a XEBEC-S1410 based
> 10mb SASI Winchester drive.
>
>  In part 3 of the article, BYTE printes the complete CBIOS, but the
> article stops in the middle of the code around page 400 of the issue. I
> have a nearly-complete series of BYTEs and I haven't found a reference to
> the code in any subsequent issue.
>
>  So, here's the question...does anyone have a copy of the complete CBIOS
> from the article *or* have a CBIOS for another XEBEC-based setup?
>
>  Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Rich

If you send me what you have I can see about re-creating it but a better
idea might be to emulate the GIDE.

Howard Harte's SuperIO controller is another option and the full CBIOS is
available, it is extremely similar to the GIDE.

I may have some Big-Board II info around, it used the XEBEC-based
controller.  In real life many found the Adaptec 4000 series to be better
since in real life it remapped bad sectors out and there was an RLL version.

Randy
www.s100-manuals.com