RRD40 troubleshooting

Wai-Sun Chia waisun.chia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 08:29:55 CST 2005

Awhile back I was looking for a caddy for my RRD40, but the ones I
found and received (thanks Joe) weren't for the RRD40 but for RRD42.
RRD40 takes a weird plastic-only caddy that looks like a pair of
pincers, precariously pinching a CD at the edges...(anybody who'd like
a pic can email me offlist).

Anyway, my RRD40 I discovered unfortunately was nonfunctional *sigh* :-{
The caddy with VMS7.1 was jammed inside and I had to strip the drive
down to the internal unit to extricate the caddy and CD. There doesn't
seem to be an EJECT button for the RRD40????

So after I've extricated the caddy/CD by raising the motor/spindle
clamp manual, I discovered I cannot insert/load the caddy/CD with
raising the spindle clamp. Of course I could only do that with a
topless unit...

I could only conclude that the load/eject mechanism is kaput....
Any clues anybody? Or time to look for another RRD40....

/wai-sun

p.s. I had hopes for the RRD40 to be a boot device for my u/VAXen...