Reset switch for IBM 5150/5160?

Chad Fernandez fernande at internet1.net
Sat Mar 26 14:30:26 CST 2005

Jim,

I've never done it, but remembered reading about it.  I've looked up the
procedure in Upgrading and Repairing PC's by Mueller.

Find the 8284a (82284 in the AT) timer chip in the PC.  When pin 11 is
shorted to ground momentarily it will start the reset process.  Also
shorting the "power good" line from the power supply will do the same
thing.  The power good pin is supposed to be P8-1.

Whether it's a warm reset or a cold reset depends on the memory contents
of a certain memory location.  Doing a Cntrl-Alt-del sets it up for warm
resets from there on out.

If you work with early PC's, Muellers book should be on your list of
books to buy.  I actually have 2, but different revisions, since the
contents are a bit different in each.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA