SunOS 4.x boot disk layout

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 10:41:54 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 10:05 -0600, Doc Shipley wrote:
>    Given the output of fdisk, I'm going to guess that your Linux kernel
> doesn't support the SunOS 4 filesystem type.  I've got an email out to a
> friend who just installed on a 3/60 yesterday, so mayhap he can shedsome
> light on this.  Meantime, see if your kernel has "sysv" filesystem
> support.  I have a glimmer of a memory that that's what you'll need.  ;)

Ahh, that's interesting. I expected it to be an ffs-derived format - in
other words using a type of 'ufs' under linux and supplied with a
"ufstype=sun" flag to the mount prog.

A quick test reveals that I do have sysv filesystem support compiled in,
but mount is no happier trying to mount the system as sysv :-(

(Incidentally I noticed that linux fdisk defaults to reporting the
blocks count in 1024-byte blocks, rather than the 512-byte blocks that
the disk itself is using)

>From what Patrick says, it should just work assuming I have the
filesystem type right; the root partition is the first on the disk and
incorporates the partition table, so has an offset of 0. Maybe support
under Linux is a little broken (I know already that ufs/sun makes
assumptions about the endian-ness of the filesystem in some places)

Hmmm...

cheers

Jules